Carrot and Apple Soup
This soup is easy to make, has 2 receipts one for children and one for adults.If you want to keep it vegetarian, substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth.
We recommend using organic products whenever is possible.
- 1 ½ lb. carrots, peeled and chopped in half (about 8 large)
- 3-4 large tart apples or creamy apples (such as McIntosh), peeled and chopped, half can be left with skin on but need to be washed (about 1 lb.)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups of cream
- 2 cups of unsalted chicken cooking stock
- 1 ¼ cups of apple cider (can be skipped if not in house, add 2 more apples- above)
- 3 Fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 tsp. kosher or sea salt
- ½ tsp.: freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can (16oz) of coconut milk
Optional additional spices:
- ½ teaspoon of ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon of ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon of organic cane sugar (optional)
Garnishes: sour cream, diced apples, pepper
- Bring all ingredients to boil in a large pen on a stove – then reduce heat to low, simmer, stirring occasionally. After 30 minutes of cooking add coconut milk and allow it to simmer for another 30 minutes, carrots must be tender (total time 60 minutes).
- Remove from heat and cool (15 minutes).
- Remove thyme sprigs, Process soup, in batches, in a blender or food processor until smooth. Good advice is to never blend or process hot food as you could very easily dull all of the processor blades.
- If you have children that don’t like spices, separate the soup in half. At this time soup is ready to serve for children, stir more broth for thinner soup, 1tbsp at the time.
- 2nd half of soup – add ½ teaspoon of ground coriander, ¼ of teaspoon of ground cardamom, ½ of ground white pepper, continue to simmer on medium heat for another 3 minutes.
- Add extra salt, pepper or small amount of sugar for taste.
- Spoon into individual bowls, and serve immediately.
Makes: 7 cups. Hands on: 30 mins, Total: 1 hour and 45 minutes.
If you would like to go extra healthy, you can add some side dish to it. Example of good side dish which we believe could complement this soup is Kale Chips. We found this perfect recipe on how to make Kale Chips by yourself here.